Business License Requirements

A business license is required of all businesses operating within the city limits, including temporary activities and contractors with offices outside the city. Rates vary according to the type of business.

Notice To All Applicants For Business Licenses And Commercial Building Permits

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:


For your convenience, the following forms that can be filled out by either inputting the information on your computer, or by printing it out and filling it out by hand. Once you have completed the form, please follow the instructions at the top of the form. Any additional information regarding the business license can be obtained by calling the Administrative Services Department at 714-990-7686 or sending an email.

Unless your business is home-based, an application for a certificate of occupancy is also required in order to obtain a business license.

Payment of this tax does not constitute zoning, building, or fire code approval. Check with the Community Development Department in order to determine if your business can be legally established at your location.

Restaurant Requirements

New restaurants need to submit a fats, oils, and greases (FOG) application, in addition to applying to the City of Brea for a business license and certificate of occupancy. As part of the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) local municipalities are responsible to conduct inspections for correct handling of fats, oils, and greases.